Thursday, September 28, 2006

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR - 9/28/06

from The Oregonian

Deputy saved son's life
I'd like to share another story involving a depressed young man, too much alcohol, a suicide attempt, a mother's frantic 9-1-1 call and Washington County Sheriff's Deputy Mikhail Gerba.

Early this summer, it was Gerba who responded to our home after my frantic 9-1-1 call. It was Gerba who stayed with our family for three hours, patiently, calmly and compassionately working to find and help our suicidal son. It was Gerba who offered to postpone his vacation, drive to Tillamook in the middle of the night and safely deliver our son to a hospital near our home.

I fully realize that, had a few details been different, I could be the grieving mother, and my heart and prayers go out to the family and friends of Lukus Glenn. But I also want the public to know that Deputy Gerba is the same man whose professionalism, compassion and perseverance helped to save my son's life.

ANNE MARIE OWEN

Beaverton

No comments: